Be part of the creation of the Ohio River Recreational Trail! A collaborative group from several river communities seeks designation by the National Parks Service for a 250-mile stretch of the Ohio River and its banks as a National Water Trail, with support from the National Park Service and state-level regulatory entities in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana.
Phase I of the Ohio River Recreational Trail will be designated in two sections:
Section A: 115 miles from Portsmouth to Cincinnati.
Section B: 133 miles from Cincinnati to Louisville.
The Ohio River Recreational Trail will…
- Promote tourism, safety, respect for private lands, and Leave No Trace (TM) ethics while facilitating both long distance and local paddling, sailing, power boating, fishing, and cycling along the Ohio River.
- Provide increased access to the Ohio River by collaborating with local governments, recreation organizations, and commercial user groups.
- Coordinate with county and municipal travel and tourism entities to ensure the largest possible impact on retail, lodging and food sales while providing a high-quality experience for paddlers, cyclists, anglers, and boaters.
- Work with the state wildlife and natural resources agencies in Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio to promote Ohio River fishing, boating, hunting, cycling, bird watching, and nature appreciation.
Currently, there are two initiatives underway to promote the Ohio River Recreational Trail:
- The development of a digital guide for the Ohio River, which you can view here: The digital guide to the Ohio River. The original digital guide was developed for the Ohio River Paddlefest and focuses on the 9 miles of the Ohio River near Cincinnati. It is our intent to expand and enhance the digital guide for 250 miles from Cincinnati to Louisville.
- Co-sponsoring the Ohio River Voyageur Canoe Trip, June 6-9, 2019. A collaborative paddle from Cincinnati to Louisville on 128 miles of the Ohio River. It is our intent to interact with and document all river towns, historical sites, and ecological features. We are seeking people to participate in the expedition this June.
Click here for a description/application for the trip.